Special adaptive services
SERVICES FOR PERSONS WITH LOW VISION
- Our Optelec Spectrum Magnifying Reader allows persons with low vision to magnify printed and handwritten materials for easier reading.
- The Adult Services department has a Screen Magnifier software program that enlarges the computer screen allowing easier view of the library catalog and the Internet.
- Handheld magnifiers are available for use in the library from the Adult Services desk.
- Large Print books are available in the Adult Services and Youth Services collections. The Youth Room also has a collection of Braille books . The library also subscribes to The New York Times Large Type Weekly.
- Both Adult and Youth Services have a vast selection of Audio Books and Music in the Media collection.
- Downloadable ebooks and audio books are available for eReaders, laptops, computers and smartphones via Overdrive.
SERVICES FOR PERSONS WITH LOW HEARING
- The Pocket Talker located in the Youth Room, amplifies the sound produced by the CD-ROMs for use on the educational computers.
- Closed captioned videos in the Media area are clearly labeled on the spine of the video cases.
- A personal amplification system can be used during programs held in the Community Room here at the library. Please call Administrative Services at least five business days before the program and reserve it for your use. Call 248-642-5800 ext. 120.