Helpful Study Tips from our Homework Coaches
Block Read More:
Our volunteer homework coaches offer the following tips for studying, organizing, and staying focused.
- Use a planner you can record everything you have to do between homework and projects.
- Use separate binders or folders for each of your homework subjects. Label all materials so you don't mix up your class assignment and notes. Keep completed homework in one side of the folder and the other side for tasks that need to be completed.
- Study in a quiet place, not in front of the tv! If you need to study in a noisy place, use headphone for white noise to keep you focused.
- Divide large amounts of homework into sections you can accomplish. Try to accomplish the small tasks rather than long papers and projects.
- Use flash cards for review. Rewrite your vocabulary definition in your own words. When reviewing for a test, go over all of your notes, homework and worksheets.
- Make sure you understand your current material before moving on. Otherwise, you may cause yourself more stress and frustration.
- Eat healthy foods like blueberries to keep you focused on your homework rather than your stomach.
- Try to make studying fun and take breaks when needed.
Stuck on a homework question? Stop by the library’s Teen Center on most weekday afternoons to meet with one of our homework coaches.