Library Board of Trustees
Greetings from the Bloomfield Township Library Board of Trustees!
Library Board meetings are held every third Tuesday of the month, at 7:00 p.m., except the April meeting which is held the fourth Tuesday of that month. Meetings are held in the Library. All Library Board meetings are open to the public.
All six members of the Library Board of Trustees are elected in the presidential election and run on a nonpartisan ballot. Trustees are required to be residents of Bloomfield Township and to obtain 40 valid signatures on petitions from taxpayers or pay a fee of $100 to be placed on the ballot. These petitions are submitted to the Bloomfield Township Clerk.
A Trustee's term of office is 4 years. The current terms are 2008-2012.
The role of a Library Trustee is challenging and rewarding.
- Trustees attend monthly meetings held regularly each month at 7:00 p.m. They each serve on several committees.
- Trustees are encouraged to be active participants in Library activities. Trustees receive no compensation or special privileges for their Library service.
- A Library Trustee recognizes the importance of the Library in the community and oversees the funding of all aspects of library services including traditional media and computer technologies.
- Library Trustees support freedom of information and the American Library Association Bill of Rights, which includes providing information presenting all points of view to all people of the community.
- A Library Trustee sets policy, hires the Library Director, and approves the budget to provide the very best a Library can offer the Bloomfield Community.